Friday 19 August 2011

WIP


I'm trying to capture a less defined look to my faces. I've longed to be able to paint or draw much smaller faces and yet still give them expression. I've recently taken Carla Sonheim's Faces 101 class and she guides you through exploring many different ways to achieve a face, one of those techniques was to just give an impression of an eye and yet it still creates interest and depth.

This WIP is a combination of a technique I have done previously by painting a face with a black shiva oilstik on a textured background but instead of painting a normal eye I have used Carla's guidance. I plan to create a pattern for her dress by printing my own pattern..I'm going to trial it on paper first...I learnt that lesson a long time ago :)

9 comments:

Francesca Di Leo said...

livvie, i'm so excited you have a blog. love your first post. and i too am trying out the 'less defined' face. it adds so much interest and depth and emotion. livvie, unplugged. love it sista.

Elena and Russ said...

Livvie,

Congratulations on the first post!
Looks great.
I jumped into Carla's class on the last day, really enjoying it.

Petie said...

I love your Blog!! Love your undefined face..love you!! And I also want to do undefined and not so rigid. One of my goals is to loosen up in all aspects of my art! You're inspiring!! <3

joanne said...

oh she's beautiful, Lyn... i just love those eyes and the depth of expression you're achieving with this piece... with fewer details in the eyes, as a viewer you want to look deeper, and because you do you can't take your eyes off of her.

wonderful piece (my new favorite of yours)...

xo

carlanda brown williamson said...

ditto to all the above!! xo

Janice Scherer said...

I've been waiting for you to blog. Since I met you in this art world, you've been my inspiration. It will be fun to follow you! And I love the new freedom in your faces.

wandamarie.blogspot.com said...

GROOVY GROOVY GROOVIE GIRL! and yay livvie, you are almost live by starting here. now i can check up on ya' all the time. welcome, you will never ever regret this, knowing YOU YOU you! xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love this Livvie!!
The face is just gorgeous!!

And thank you so much for the comment on my blog!

SELECT ONE PAINTS said...

Residential
Professional
Industrial